My Stalker, My Lover

She’s the struggler. He’s the savior.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Best Walks

“Let’s go back,” she told Jeff when she felt her stomach crumbles the moment she saw the two.

Jeff then follows her lead but she moved back to peek at them. Her heart is doing drumbeats while looking at the two when she decided to go away, but in the middle of their walk, she felt she needed to return.

“Wait, wait, why are we dancing tango here?” Jeff teased her. She just flashed a wry smile.

“Are you shy?”
“No.”

“Are you mad?”
“No.”

“Are you jealous?”
She didn’t answer.

“Are you afraid to see them together?”
She didn’t answer again.

“I knew it, come on, face your fears,” he pulled her toward the end of the path.

That’s the same outlook Josh taught her when she was striving to conquer her fears with water.

“Hey Josh, over here!” Jeff called them but when he turned around, she’s already gone.
“Jeff!” they called out.

They were wondering why Jeff is acting a little strange that moment, as he was pulling something out from the bushes.

“Jeff please, I can’t do it…”

She was thrown slightly when Jeff forcefully pulled her out from the grasses.

“Andie?” the two were surprised.
“Hi,” she gracelessly replied after regaining her composure.

He sneers while looking at her. She diverted her look on Jeff and helped him spread the sheath.

Everything is set up, but Josh was hesitant to take his seat. Andie and Grace were already seated on the sheath in front of each other, so it’s up to the boys to pick their place.

“Jeff, sit here, help me open the bottle.” Andie gave in so Josh has no choice but to sit beside Grace.

He was disappointed so he just turned quiet. Andie noticed it but she didn’t care much, she believed he has a choice but he didn’t take it.

“Chips?” Grace offered him but he refused. “Coke?” He shook his head.

“Grace, I think he likes Sprite better,” Andie said then handed him the glass of Sprite. Josh felt like he was hypnotized so he immediately took the glass from Andie.

She chuckles. She thought she scored 1 over Grace. Jeff was nudging her.

“Oh, okay, I’ll take note of that,” Grace said then smiled at him.

Another try from Grace, she offered Josh some chips but he still refused, he shook his head, she insisted then put the chips in his mouth so Josh has no choice but to take it. They were laughing as she was playing with the chips and him; this made Andie felt more awkward. Now, Grace scored. Jeff nudged her again. She just looked at Jeff. She grinned when something popped into her mind. It was viewing a scene of her doing the same thing with Jeff but, “I couldn’t do it to him, he’s my cousin!” she thought to herself. She just leaned her elbows onto her knees while looking at them.

Grace and Josh were still teasing each other. When everything is sort of distressing, Andie turned to face Jeff and started talking to him as if soliciting for rescue. Jeff figured out so he started.

“Andie, do you remember my friend, Mark? I think he likes you. He’s asking me to introduce you to him so……?” Jeff was telling them aloud so the other two could hear him.

Andie was taken aback when she heard Jeff’s announcement. Her eyes widened telling him to stop but he still continued.

Grace and Josh suddenly turned silent when they heard Jeff. Andie witnessed how Josh’s face turned bitter so she thinks it is effective, but there’s no hint that Josh is going to ask about it.

“Mark? The rich guy from Beverly Hills?” Grace was shocked.

“Yes.”

Jeff knew Grace likes that guy when they were first introduced, but the guy is so busy with his motorbike that he couldn’t trade even girls for it, so Grace was curious if it’s really true, and if it is, then she lost again.

She just shook her head. “Andie, when did you meet the guy? Be careful with him,” she warned her.

“What do you mean?” she asked.

“I’ve known Mark for a long time and I wouldn’t be risking Andie if I knew he’d just play with her,” Jeff rectified her.

Josh was just listening and for the first time he didn’t react. Andie turned her stare away from him as his gaze was making her uncomfortable.

“Rich guys are nothing but players, they wouldn’t waste their time with average girls like us, they wouldn’t even look at us,” Grace strongly commented.

“Grace….” Andie signaled her about Josh. She tried to stop her but Grace already said her lines.

She immediately stopped after realizing that Josh is one rich guy and she just screwed up.

“Ooopppsss Josh, I……I’m sorry I’m not generalizing it….I just mean….” she just covered her face. Josh felt so humiliated but he didn’t let them recognize it. He knew even before Andie felt that way also.

“Let’s not talk about it, let’s try something else………” Andie suggested.

“Okay, I’ve brought my cards so we can play pusoy dos by team,” Jeff said.

“Pusoy dos by team?” Grace exclaimed.

Andie was just calm coz she plays pusoy dos well also. Actually she learned it during her internship and she learned some tricks, so she’s not worried.

“Grace and I will be the first team and you two will be partners,” Jeff commanded them.

Andie was stunned, Jeff was really making it hard for her but it’s helping.

Daya! I heard Josh plays well with cards,” Grace was disappointed.
“Don’t worry I play well too, we’ll beat them,” Jeff was grinning.

He then explained his imposed rules and told them to discuss their strategies first before they could start the game. Andie knew this wasn’t really about the game, but it was his scheme.

Jeff pulled Grace near the river so they left the two alone. Minutes of silence passed while assessing each other who will start.

“Are you alright?” Andie finally asked him.
“Yeah.”

“I apologize about what Grace said…….she didn’t exactly mean to……”
“Don’t worry it didn’t hit me……” he replied then smiled at her.

She’s waiting for Josh to ask her about the guy but he didn’t bother to ask. She remembered Carlo before when Josh learned about him that he wouldn’t even let her speak to the guy, but this time it’s different. He didn’t care. She just felt maybe his interest has all been gone, now that Grace is there. She thought it’s because of Grace that his changes were really apparent. She assumed that that’s the reason why he keeps on reiterating they’re just friends.

“I shouldn’t have competed with you Grace, but this time you win!” she thought to herself.

“So what strategies are we going to formulate?” she asked him.
“Nothing, let’s just deal with the cards,” he confidently answered. She thought maybe that’s really the attitude of most gamblers. She just nods.

The two went back. Jeff told Josh to switch positions so he did. Jeff distributed the cards to them. The rules were based on Jeff’s standards that the team can exchange cards when necessary, so it’s a lot more exciting. Obviously, Andie and Josh were in advantage. When Andie needs another card to fill in her set, she would take a card from Josh and so is he. They’d laugh and scream whenever they place higher cards over the two. They’d shake hands and nudge each other whenever they win. Grace, on the other hand, felt that Josh is really happy with Andie’s company so she must stop her illusions on him coz Andie won again.

(What the heck? If they can only read minds! lol)

It’s getting dark when they all decided to go back to the house. Jeff took the lead followed by Grace. Andie and Josh were endlessly talking about the games.

“I didn’t know you were good in cards also,” Josh told her.
“I could even beat you,” she laughs at him.

She told him how she learned to play cards and so their talks had gone up until they got home.

**********


It was a day before the interment where the family was busy preparing for the final occasion they called “feast.” Each member was given tasks so the only people left at home were Josh, some visitors and Auntie Mina who’s also busy assisting them. She needs to go to the market that afternoon to sort out ingredients for the dishes they need to prepare. There were kids who could come along with her at the market but they couldn’t carry heavy baskets so she thought of asking Josh’s help.

“Josh, we don’t treat you as our visitor here so maybe you can come with me at the market, is it fine with you?”

“Sure auntie.”

After walking down from the slope, Auntie Mina halted the tricycle driver with two passengers in.

Dong, you can sit inside, I’ll ride at the back.”

“No auntie, you sit inside,” he walked her in.

How fabulous he looked while riding at the back of the tricycle. It was a huge tricycle he had ever seen. It’s not a standard vehicle, as it may seem. The sidecar is divided into front and back where it can carry three passengers in front, two at the back where Josh was inelegantly sitting and two behind the driver. He felt dizzy and almost stumbled down after getting off the tricycle, nevertheless it was another first for him.

While they were in the parking (a marketplace in Carcar, but literally a parking area), Auntie Mina started picking up different vegetables, meats, and ingredients needed for the “feast.” That’s the second time in his life he actually went to a wet and dry market, first with Andie in Subic, now with her Auntie Mina.

Dong, I think you’re hungry, let’s go.”

They went to an almost full carinderia at the parking where Auntie Mina ordered him chicharon, kakanin and a soda. He was hesitant at first thinking that the place could get him a disease but he still tried. Auntie Mina was smiling at him as he almost ate all the chicharon.

“Lami dong?”

“Po?”

“Tastes good?”
He just nods.

This is the best chicharon in Cebu,” she told him. He agreed.

He then bought 3 kilos of chicharon to take home with.

**********

Andie waited at the doorway when she saw Josh and Auntie Mina coming.

“What again?” he asked Andie when he saw her laughing at his awkward stance.

“Nothing, I didn’t know you can carry two baskets at the same time,” she teasingly replied. He just rolled his eyes.

“Hey kids, I have something for you,” he then distributed his pasalubong to the kids.

“Kids, don’t share it with Tita Andie okay?” he was teasing her.

“Hey, don’t teach them that…..” she’s laughing.

“So how’s your date with Auntie Mina?”

“Oh, it’s fine, we had chicharon and kakanin and she toured me around parking.....I didn’t know she’s sweet!” he laughs. Andie was carelessly laughing at his statement so their fun moment continued.

“Hey Josh, you’re here!” Grace excitedly greeted him.

When it is really a good timing that the two could have a private conversation suddenly Grace would interfere.

“I’ll be back Grace.” Andie went off to give way to her. His gaze just followed her direction.

“Aren’t you going to follow her?” she asked him. He just shook his head.
“Come on you should start working at your end,” she insisted even if it really cuts deep.

“I knew her, she’s thinking otherwise,” he told Grace.
“What do you mean?”

“She thinks that I don’t care.”
“Then show her you care!”

“Do you really know that guy, Mark?” he diverted the topic.
“Not really, but I think that guy doesn’t really hook up on girls.”
“Really? Does that mean it couldn’t be true that he’s interested with Andie?”

“I guess….” she shrugged her shoulders. He smiled, sort of a good relief.
“So you better stop getting jealous or you can just go with the flow…..” she suggested.
“Nice!” he smiled.

*****

The final day has come. All the relatives gathered together for the final prayer at their house. The funeral car is already parked outside. The entire traffic enforcers were situated at their posts to organize the flow of the traffic. There was a long line of different vehicles on the road, aboard were the elderly people followed by rows of teenagers and some adults who volunteered to walk. The whole family was dressed in white with black pins. In observance of the occasion, Josh also wore his white polo and black slacks.

“You looked good in white,” he complimented Andie.
“You don’t look bad yourself either,” she replied.

“Josh, you’re going to ride at Uncle Jun’s car,” Grace reminded him.

“What about you and Andie?”

“We’ll walk.”

“Then I’ll walk with you also.”
“You sure?” He nods.

The long walk started. The three of them were walking together. Grace called Josh to stay between her and Andie. Andie walks silently thinking about her lola who’ll be meeting her end in a moment. They finally arrived at the memorial park, so the interment rites were started.

The burial ground was very small that it couldn’t accommodate all the people inside. Only the immediate relatives and some visitors were permitted to the ceremony. Josh noticed it was inelegant compared to the memorial park where his uncle was buried, but it doesn’t matter to him, what matters is how many people who’d mourn because of your loss.

He remembered back then he’s the only relative that his uncle had on his burial. It was one of the most expensive rites Josh had ever prepared but nobody cared to attend to it, not even their immediate relatives, but the people whom his uncle had debts. This time a tear or two surprisingly rolled down from his eyes. It was an emotion that he couldn’t understand. Was it because of the song that was just sang or because he felt sorry for his uncle?

“Hey, are you crying?” he immediately wiped his tears when Grace looked at him.

“I got carried away,” he then wore his sunglasses so no one would notice.

It serves as an emotional encounter for the whole family when Andie’s dad delivered his speech, but it lightens up after pleading that, “life is short, but not shorter when you’ve already found out what your existence really meant in this lifetime.” A lot of them agreed particularly Josh.

“I knew it! Now I know why I’m here! It’s not because I try to escape from my friends, it’s because I really love her…now I’ve got to tell her whatever risk it may lead!” he was certain, his mind was exclaiming.

The mass is ended as well as the ceremony. Josh was looking for Andie that minute, how ironic he had to propose to her just right after the occasion, but he had nothing to lose, he knew he had to do it.

“So, you are Andie, you seem nice,” Mark told Andie while shaking her hand.

“Thanks,” she just smiled. She’s hesitant to talk to him at first thinking that Josh might see them, but she thought nobody cares, not even him.

“Jeff, let’s finish this, I can’t do it anymore,” she whispered to him.
“Just play along, it’s not bad after all,” he insisted.

Josh turned away after seeing them. Grace came nursing him again.

“Don’t worry, there’s nothing going on between them,” said Grace. He’s just worried why he’s still jealous. She then pulled Josh toward their uncle’s vehicle.

The guy asked Andie to ride with them at his car, but she refused. She said she has companions, but the guy insisted. He told her they can hitch with them so she called the two.

“Uhmm Grace, Mark said we can ride with him at his car.”
“No…we’re riding at Uncle Jun’s car,” Grace frowned and obviously disgusted from her invitation.
“Josh….” she softly whispered. They turned away.

“What’s wrong with them? Okay just carry on with your privacy!” she mumbled.

She then went toward Mark’s car with some of her cousins but Jeff didn’t ride with them. Her worries disappeared after learning that he already has a girlfriend sitting in the front seat. She then realized the guy was just nice and what’s more amusing was both of them were playing along with Jeff’s scheme.

“How do you like Mark to make your suitor jealous?” his girlfriend asked her.

“He’s not my suitor,” she was laughing at her. The girl raised her brow and laughed, seems like she didn’t believe her.

“I’d appreciate it if we would not continue,” she said. They agreed.

“That’s the guy, right?” Mark pointed him when he recognized Josh riding at the hood of the rusty pickup truck with Jeff and the rest of the guys.

“Oh my God, what are they doing?” Andie was surprised to see him goofing around with his male cousins.

The guys would scream, laugh and make fun of themselves while the vehicle was moving.

“Woooohoooo inday, na-ay Tagala dire, wa pa man syang uyab! They would tease Josh with the ladies they passed through that made him feel embarrassed, sometimes he would ride along, so everyone went rowdy.

They were still noisy even after arriving home. He’s just glad after those sleepless nights and chasing Andie, he still gets a good laugh.

“Uhmm Andie, can we talk later? I have something to tell you,” he felt ready that moment.

“Oh my God he’s going to tell me that he’s already in love with Grace…Please help me!” she was very nervous.
“Okay, I have something to tell you also.....”
she just replied.
“Really? We’ll talk tonight okay?” he was excited, he thought she was ready to accept him.

She turned away seemingly nervous. She doesn’t know if she’d be able to take it. She just hopes he’d break it to her coolly.

Grace, on the other hand, was also nervous. She knows any moment Josh would propose to her. She almost thought she’s ready to give up on him but something’s keeping her. At first she thought it was just an infatuation but when she gets closer to him, her feelings toward him defeat her, so she felt she had to do something even if it would cause some complications toward her relationship with her cousin.

Hey Grace, I’ve been looking for you!” Josh was excited.
“I-I just went to check the visitors….” she hesitantly answered.
“Let’s go I have something to tell you!” Josh pulled her outside.

They didn’t know Andie was secretly looking at them.

“You seemed so happy, why? Oh well, I have to tell you something also.”
“Okay you go first,” Josh told her. “No, you go,” she said.
“Come on, I insist.”
“Okay….” She started with a deep sigh.

“Oi!” Jeff tapped Andie when he saw her so out of herself. She startled then stared at him for a moment with a sad look on her face.
“You don’t seem alright,” Jeff told her.
“Josh said he has something to say to me and I think he’s going to tell me he’s already in love with Grace…”
“What? That’s not fair…” he answered.
“Jeff, we can’t blame the two if they really like each other.”
“I just don’t get it…You mean to tell me he came all the way from Manila to stalk you then he’ll just end up with Grace?” he felt disappointed.
“No…he’s not stalking me and what’s wrong with that, they’re both single. I should be happy for them, and you also should, she’s our cousin,” she just shrugged it off.
“I’m not gonna buy that. But, yeah she’s our cousin so…..are you going to be alright with that?”
“No, I’m not…I just couldn’t think right this moment….Even if I read all my books today, my mind couldn’t absorb it….what’s happening to me?”
“Just stop thinking about it. Keep focused. Think about what your goals really are. Do you want to pass your board exam or not?”

She knew Jeff is right and falling in love was not included in her plans, but that is one thing she’s really weak about.

“Josh, I know this doesn’t seem so right, but I have no choice but to tell you…”

He was constantly teasing her but suddenly she gets serious, so he paid attention to her.

“I know you and Andie were right for each other but it didn’t keep me from dreaming something I thought was impossible. You made me feel like a real lady. You treat me with respect and nothing has ever done that to me even with all my suitors around. You are rich and all but it didn’t occur to me that I was intimidated by it. I’m excited to wake up each morning knowing that I’ll be seeing your happy face once again. Even if you only have eyes for Andie, I’m shameless to say that

……I love you….I love you so much…..”

“You don’t have to say anything and I know it won’t be reciprocated anyhow, but just allow me to love you with the best ways I can do,” Grace ends up with tears in her eyes.

Josh’s smile was obliterated after hearing what she had to say. He wasn’t aware her feelings had gone that far.

“Let me help you this time…You want me to talk to Josh about that?” Jeff insisted.
“No! Don’t you ever do that!” Andie warned him. Jeff was just like her, he’ll do what he’s got to do.

“Oh…I didn’t know….I’m sorry Grace….” Josh was caught off-guard.
“Don’t be sorry Josh, it’s not your fault…It’s nobody’s fault, but mine. Remember when I kept silent and you were there to console me?” Grace started explaining to Josh everything just to sweep up their closeness after the discomfort caused by her revelation.

Then he smiles again, but he could have been extremely delighted if it’s Andie who revealed things like those to him. He’s used to situations that ladies were the ones who’d do what guys are supposed to be doing but those were the liberated ones that he couldn’t say no to before. It was the first time it ever happened to him that he even respected the lady more. He just couldn’t look down on Grace as he knows partly something about her good personality.

Andie was guarding Jeff before he could do anything unforgivable, so she hides near where the two were while eavesdropping from their conversation, but the noise inside the house completely masks their conversation.

“Before I totally surrender you to Andie, can you please kiss me Josh? Just one kiss….”

Josh wonders why he couldn’t say no to her, so he looked around to check if somebody is looking at them but the people around were busy. Grace closed her eyes and leaned her lips closely, surprisingly, Josh kissed her forehead. They both laugh after that.

Good thing Andie was called by her mom so she didn’t see the scene, but still her griefs didn’t end there, it even doubled after claiming that she couldn’t be with Josh anymore. She decided to walk toward the river to sort things out to herself.

“Friends?”
“Yeah friends!” they both shook hands.

“Go get Andie…and don’t come back if she hasn’t said yes to you, okay?” she reminded him. She was already relieved after that moment.

He’s about to look for Andie when Jeff cut him.

“Any problem?”
Let’s sit over there.”
“I know I shouldn’t be intruding at your privacy, but the two ladies involved were my cousins if you remember that.”
“Yeah, so…..” Josh was pressing his nape.
“Are you trying to hook up with both Andie and Grace?”
“What? Hell no! Where’d you get that idea?”
“Nothing, I just observed it…”
“Well, it’s wrong…I know man this wouldn’t sound good to you because she’s your cousin but…..
“But what…to whom are you in love with then?” Jeff was getting furious.
“Are you sure we should be talking about this coz it’s awkward man?”
“Okay, I’m really in love with Andie and I ought to tell her tonight.”

Jeff shook his head.

“I know you’re really in love with Andie but when Grace gets into the picture, it confused me. Good thing you admitted it, but I don’t think this is the right time to tell Andie how you feel for her.”
“Huh? Why?” he was taken aback.
“I don’t think she’s ready for it. You should consider that she has goals for herself also and I can see that she’s really distracted right now.”
“Just a piece of advice Josh…..wait until she pass her exams and if you can’t, that’s when you’ll realize you’re not really in love with her, so no hard feelings. Are we cool with that?”

He didn’t speak at all. He knows Jeff is really serious. He always gets hollow victories when it comes to Andie and this is one part of it.

Making decisions is never a problem to him like choosing what life he’d like to live, what clothes he’d like to wear, how much money he’d like to spend for a trip or deciding to follow Andie in Cebu, but this one decision is really tough for him.

“Think hard, Josh, think hard…” he thought to himself. He made out his mind and started looking for her. The only place he’s sure where he could find Andie was in the river, so he started walking.

There he saw Andie sitting on the bench beneath the huge tree. His heart almost broke when he saw her like that. If only he could tell her she’s the only lady on his mind, he’d walk a thousand miles and back for that.

“Hi….” then he gently sat beside her.
“Hi….” she was surprised like her heart ventricles were abnormally functioning that minute his arm touches hers.
“What are you doing here all alone?”

Andie waved her book, making him think that she’s reading it.
He just nods.

“You know when I was in high school, I used to read these magazines that no other kid could ever understand its contents.”

Andie’s brows crossed and started to get curious about his story.

“Can you guess what kind of magazines I’m reading?”
“Porn mags?” Andie teased him.
“Of course not….well yeah….sometimes,” he started to laugh.
“Seriously, I’m reading articles about politics, laws, justices, etc. I’d like to become a lawyer…shhhhh that’s my secret.”
“Really?” Andie was impressed.
“Well maybe that explains why you’re arrogant most of the time,” she started to laugh.

His eyes rolled.

“My parents didn’t know about it but my brother, then eventually my uncle knew and he completely disagreed. He wants me to become a businessman. I need to follow his lead, he said. He almost owns my life when he’s still living.”

“I asked him to buy me books about national constitution, but he’d buy me Marvel or D.C. magazines, so whenever he sees me reading he would check up on me so I had to cover the book with those magazines, just like what you’re doing, you’re pretending to be reading that book, which you’re actually not.”

She carelessly laughs. She’s caught up again.

“I think there’s got to be some reason why he’s holding your life. You shouldn’t have let him. Look at your brother. He didn’t let your uncle rule over his life, right? And he follows what he thinks is right for himself.”
“Yes, there were reasons and I told you you’ll know in time.”

She respects his privacy so she didn’t continue to ask.

“So, what do you really like to do in your life, let’s say we’ll start today?”
“You already know, I’ve told you so many times.”
“Yeah, but I didn’t know exactly how you want to live your life from this point forward.”
“Oh….Uhmm…okay…Right now, I really want to pass the stateboard exam so my employer could file my application for immigrant visa as soon as possible, then I’ll fly to the US.”

“Why do you really want to work abroad when you can earn much here?”
“I’m not earning much here that’s why I want to work abroad!” She was starting to get irritated.

“Why do you want to earn much if you can live a simple life?”
“It’s because I’d like to buy all the things that I want; car, huge house for my parents, life insurance, I want to travel around the world and I’d like to save for my future just in case I get married.”
“Do you really need all those?”
“I don’t know, do you?”
“I’m certain I don’t need all those.”
“It’s because you already have them.”
“I guess…but I didn’t get any pleasure from it, it never made me happy.
“You’re only saying that because you haven’t felt what it’s like when people look down on you when you can’t pay for your tuition fees, how your feet hurt when you have to walk a long mile just to get home, or you have to budget every single cents just to make both ends meet, that you have to do second collections so that you can pay for your grandmother’s burial services,” Andie turned sad but she’s firm not to cry this time.

“I know, I know, but I think you’re so lucky you get to live the life that you want. Don’t you know that I envy you? If we could only trade our positions, I’d do it.”
“All those people around you that you love and loved you were just an amazing thing I wish I have.”

She bowed her head down as she was embarrassed by her acts. Now she’s certain that Josh was not just another guy. His deepest personality illuminates if only people can see through him.

“If you ask me, I’m certain not to commit to any girls yet until I’m sure that she’s the right one for me….” he surprisingly told Andie.
“What? I thought you and……”
“I knew you’re thinking that Grace and I are having an affair….” he laughs.
“No….but….”
“She just told me that she’s in love with me….” he followed up. Andie was choked, she didn’t imagine Grace could ever do that.
“So what did you tell her?”
“She knows I only think of her as a friend, so she accepted it.”
“Only friends? Why? Didn’t she get mad at you?”
“No…I told you I’m still waiting for the right one to come and I think she’s still in the process of finding me.”

She just smiles. She’s relieved when she learned that there’s nothing to worry about competing with her cousin anymore.

“Well, that could be me…” she boasts to herself.

“Let’s walk,” Josh held her hand up then they started to walk home.

“Hmmmm Siegleman…..interesting!” he pulled the book from her as he reads the title.

“Hey…I’m really reading that even before you came….”

“Really now!” he teased her.

“Josh, I have something to show you…follow me.”

Then they walked around the barrio to show him the people who are living there. There were small houses with weak wooden structures that almost fall down. There were people looking strangely at them when they passed by. They saw unfortunate families losing their health from lack of nourishment.

“Did you see what I’d like to show you?”

Josh felt bad after seeing the people and the place they had to live in. They’re the kind of people he’d like to aid, he just doesn’t know how.

“Josh, those were the reasons why I’m really working hard for my future. I don’t want my family to become unfortunate like them. I’m hoping someday that I could help those people too.”

“I feel you, Andie.”

They both turned silent while walking along the small barrio heading for home. Their gestures were speaking for themselves not to worry about being unready to discover each other’s feelings, but both hope that the feelings are mutual.

“Andie, do you still have time for a beach tomorrow?” mom asked her.

“Really mom, which beach?”

“Argao beach is the nearest from our place. You’ll love it there, it’s a white-sanded beach. I hope Josh could still come with us.”

“Hey Josh, do you still have a day left for your vacation, coz they’re planning to go to the beach tomorrow.”

“Hey, I like that!” he didn’t think twice.

**********


They already arrived at Argao beach an hour after their travel from the house the following morning.

“Wow! Look at the beach, it’s really fascinating and the white sand!” Andie was excited.
“So, are you ready to swim?” he told her.
“No, I think I’ll just stroll along,” she chuckles.
“Okay I’ll walk with you.”

“Josh, did you enjoy your stay here?”
“Yes and I’m still enjoying it. I learned a lot of things.”
“Like what?”
“Like giving importance to every family member, knowing what your priorities really are and not underestimating other people’s ability by how they looked,”

“What do you mean?”

“I misjudged people like your cousin, Jeff. I didn’t realize that he’s a good person until I’ve known him. I thought when I saw him he’s just bumming around,” he confessed.

“Plus I learned how to clean a pig sty,” they carelessly laughed.

“Josh, how does it feel like living in the states? What about the Thanksgiving? You know I’m really excited about it.”

“I don’t like living in the states really. It’s the same thing, I’m not living with my parents but I’m staying with my relatives.”

“Where are they from?”

“Monterey, California.”

“What about the Thanksgiving day?”

“It’s fine, they celebrated it bigger than Christmas day. I like Labor Day more.”

“Really, why?

“Coz it’s a non-working holiday and I routinely go to Napa Valley for wine tasting or Las Vegas.”

“And what’s your favorite season?”

“Oh…I like spring season.”

“Spring season?”

“Yeah, coz there’s a lot of happenings during the spring and the weather is really nice.”
“I think I like winter season.”
“Winter?” then he laughs.
“What’s the laugh?”
“I hate winter. I hate wearing triple jackets, it’s making me look fat.” He endlessly laughs.
“Too shallow, Josh.”
“Seriously, during winter season I saw huge number of people died from ice storm, frostbite, stroke and car accidents.”

It almost breaks her heart after hearing those, but nothing could stop her from dreaming of having a white Christmas in the states.

“You’re heading to New Jersey, right?”
“Uh huh.”
“Okay, just be very careful, I heard some cities are not safe in New Jersey. I just hope you can move to Philadelphia.”

“Why? What do you know about New Jersey?”

“Nothing much, just be careful coz you’re going to live in a foreign land, so be very careful, alright?”

“I think I have my first trip in mind….I’d like to see The Grand Canyon….It’s really beautiful…..I’d like my first date to bring me there….” she laughs.

“First date in Grand Canyon,” he thought to himself.

They suddenly stopped when they saw Grace approaching but she was obviously avoiding them as she turned away from their direction. They just looked at each other then laughed.

“You scared her…” she teased.
“Not me……..you…scared her….”

“Grand Canyon is fine but I hope you won’t hook up with random guys in New Jersey.”
“Why not? Are you getting jealous already?”
“Of course not, the nerve….”

“Whaatttttt?! She gets furious then started throwing sands on him. He was playing with her and was running along the shore to get away from her.

She didn’t stop so he faced her and held her hands up then wrapped it around him. He leaned his head closer to her and squeezed her tight with his arms.

“I missed you,” he softly whispered to her ears.

“Josh.” Andie said in a worried tone as she was looking around.

Josh pulled out after he realized they were outside and Andie’s parents might see them.

“You said you missed me, why?”

“Ye-ah….I just missed playing card games with you, that’s it…nothing personal,” he defensively answered.

“Oh-kay,” she was confused, but at least her worries were gone.

The long day is done. They were preparing for their flight back to Manila early morning.

Josh was surprised to see a lot of people gathered again around their house the morning of their flight. Auntie Mina told him that those families wanted to say goodbye to them especially Josh as he has been nice to them. They had never seen a rich guy like him who’d lay down his status for a while to reach out to them. All of the people from kids to adults hugged Andie and Josh while wishing them a good relationship together. Josh was very ecstatic after knowing that the people appreciated him.

“Kaluy-an ka pud nang atong panginoon.”
“Buot-an ang imong kasingkasing, dong.”
“Pag-balik unta dinhe sa sunod ka tuig”

The two just smiled though they didn’t understand them, but it sounds good they think.

“Salamat man, gihigugma ko kamong tanan!” Josh surprisingly uttered.

All the people laughed and patted his shoulder.

Jeff came toward him and shook Josh’s hand. Josh was thanking him for making him realize to not only think of yourself and what it can do good to you but to also consider other people’s feelings.

“I think these polos and shirts will fit you,” he told Jeff.

“Andie!” Grace called her after they checked in.

“Grace, I’m glad you were able to catch us,” she hugged her.

“I’m really, really sorry Andie. I have to do it so Josh will tell you his reasons why he is here in Cebu.”

“It’s okay Grace.”
“So, you knew?”
“Yes, so no need to worry.”
“Wow, I’m relieved thanks!” then they hugged each other.

“So good luck on your relationship okay, I’m so happy for you!”
Andie was confused, but she didn’t ask anymore.

Finally their flight was called so they boarded the plane.

“I’d like to sit next to the window please,” she said.

Josh doesn’t really sit in between passengers as he always feels nauseated when riding the plane, but he gave his seat to her.

“Why are you restless, are you afraid to ride the plane?”
“No!”
“It’s cold in here but you’re sweating.”

The plane took off and a few turbulence were encountered that made him looked troubled.

“I knew it! Come here.”

Andie locked her fingers into his then leaned his head onto her shoulder.

“Do you feel better?”

He smiled and was hoping that the plane would not land anymore.

She was hoping when she returns home that that will be the last adversity she had to face.

He was thinking when he returns home, he’d change into a better person, not because of the people who inspired him but because of himself as his own inspiration.

It was a silent 55 minutes of their lives but all is well and all emotions were expressed. Not just a good trip, not just a great experience, but the best walks they ever had.






3 Comments:

  • At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wahhh! you know I stayed up from 2 up to 5 (time right now.. just to read and finished everything.. BITIN!.. sobrang ang ganda ng story ..there is fairy tale after all. San na yung kausnod?

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Making money on the internet is easy in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat system[/URL], You are far from alone if you haven’t heard of it before. Blackhat marketing uses not-so-popular or not-so-known ways to build an income online.

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    [url=http://www.casino-online.gd]Online casinos[/url], also known as accepted casinos or Internet casinos, are online versions of memorable ("buddy and mortar") casinos. Online casinos consign gamblers to pretension and wager on casino games unconscious the Internet.
    Online casinos habitually make an foul up as a replacement for handy odds and payback percentages that are comparable to land-based casinos. Some online casinos exhort on higher payback percentages in the servicing of repute gismo games, and some magnanimous community payout correlation audits on their websites. Assuming that the online casino is using an aptly programmed indefinitely league generator, catalogue games like blackjack query an established own edge. The payout patch recovering after these games are established at knee-jerk the rules of the game.
    Uncountable online casinos sublease out or abide by resign their software from companies like Microgaming, Realtime Gaming, Playtech, Supranational Doctor Technology and CryptoLogic Inc.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home